Task 3.6: Enabling large scale CO2 storage and EOR
Overall objective: The main objective of Task 3.6 is to conduct research on case studies on CO2 storage sites with injection rates in the Mt/year range.
Detailed objectives include:
- Direct and align the research in SP3 towards this objective, including collaboration with other projects on the implementation of large-scale CO2 storage in the North Sea.
- Increase the understanding of possible issues with formation pressure increase as a result of CO2 injection on a large scale and suggest ways to manage pressure in such a way that both storage safety and storage capacity is maximised.
- Develop and provide calculation models for aquifer storage and CO2 EOR for the value chain work in BIGCCS SP4.
Contribution to one or more of the overall goals/objectives of BIGCCS
Common to the research topics is the focus on developing knowledge important for enabling large scale CO2 storage and EOR.
In order to make a measurable contribution to climate change mitigation, CCS must beimplemented on a large scale, with annual injection rates for storage sites in the Mt CO2/year range. It is an ambition for SP3 of BIGCCS to make a valuable contribution to research that enables storage on this scale.
Goals for 2015
- Investigate possibilities for establishing an industry funded main project based on the work in the Gassnova-funded phase of the Sentrallager project.
- Improve estimates for maximum safe injection pressure in an aquifer based on analysis of existing borehole breakout data.
- Develop methodology for optimal use of large aquifers for multiple independent injection operations
- Establish the framework for improvement of modules for CO2 storage and CO2 EOR in the BIGCCS CO2 chain model.